I am married with two grown up children and was born in Cowie and currently live on the outskirts in Bannockburn. I have lived in my ward all of my life and am very proud to represent the communities I was born in and grew up in.
I was first elected to represent the Bannockburn ward in 2007 and was then re-elected in 2012 and again in 2017. Each time I have polled the most first preference votes, something I am very proud of!
Since I was first elected in 2007, I have campaigned hard for all of my constituents, especially the poor and the vulnerable. Since elected I have been involved in many local campaigns. I was a founder member of the campaign against the Bedroom Tax in Stirling. Myself and a few other local committed activists formed Stirling Against the Bedroom Tax and confronted David Cameron and the Tories at the Tory Conference in Stirling and then we held a hugely successful rally in the King’s Park to highlight the cruelty of this policy. We then lobbied the SNP Government, who to their credit provided extra funding to effectively kill off the Bedroom Tax in Scotland.
- Along with my SNP colleagues on Stirling Council we fought hard for many years for funding for a new school for Cowie St.Margaret’s RC Primary School which I am delighted to say was completed in June 2016.
- I have provided advice and assistance to the membership of Cowie Miners Welfare saving it from closure, which would have been a disaster for the local community.
- I also worked with the Buddies of Bandeath to stop the previous Labour/Tory coalition closing Bandeath Dog Shelter.
- I am working with the community of Plean to slow down vehicles and reduce the amount of lorries going through the village. This is still work in progress!
- I worked with my SNP Council colleagues to deliver the new website that marks the proud mining heritage for Polmaise.
- I worked with my SNP Council colleagues to stop the previous Labour/Tory coalition from privatising Active Stirling.
- I worked with the Bannockburn community to finalise the purchase of Bannockburn House.
- I have campaigned against the Tory Universal Credit, see photo below.
- I have campaigned against the closure of RBS Bannockburn.
Despite losing the referendum, I still passionately believe that an independent Scotland could be a fairer and more prosperous country than it is now. I have been a member of Scottish CND for many years and am a member of the Unite trade union. I have been a committed socialist all of my life and I will continue to campaign for a nuclear free, independent socialist republic of Scotland.